Sunday, 30 September 2012

A weekend of San Diego

Wrote first part of this Sat night, second part now being Sunday night...

Had a hard time trying to talk to people Fri night. Everyone that was around at the hostel was drinking etc which I am not really wanting to do a whole lot of, so was hard getting into conversation with that the only option of activity. Met two Kiwi's though! Which is crazy... will write a bit about them at the end. The Hostel though was doing a bit of a nightclub go around, where we go and see a couple and then can go back to whichever one we liked. Because I brought no clothes/ones that I want to chuck out, I was representing South Auckland quite well... I had new jeans that I'd bought but had only a T-shirt and my old shoes... and it was the lack of v neck/shirt shirt that meant I couldn't get in the second place so that cut my night short. But was alright because I didn't particularly want to have too much of a late night as I am still fighting this sickness - throat is alright just a bit funny, and phloem a plenty.

Anyway, had a terrible sleep. Two people arrived new to my room about half one in the morning, light on and torch in my face as they obviously couldn't tell which beds were free... so that was lovely but how it goes I guess. So bad sleep, and then got up not feeling great. Ended up deciding to have a quiet time, and that went really well. First one of my trip, and am going to try and do it every day - because I know for a fact that my day wouldn't have gone the way it did had it not been for that. I was pretty worried would be it, because the Hostel does a trip every Saturday to Tijuana but I realized that it was much more angled at going nuts on margarita's then having a look around, a shop, and trying a couple of said drinks. Which I'm not trying to be anti, but it is not what I am wanting.

So my morning was spent going for a good walk around the waterfront. Saw the USS Midway Aircraft carrier, didn't go on it but going to Monday morning. Tried to do a panoramic photo of it, we'll see how that turns out... Sea Port is an area of shops and eateries etc, and little stalls. The craziest thing was this guy balancing rocks on top of each other, up to about 5 or 6 feet high. Not like laying them down on each other but balancing them on a point of the rock and stuff. Was nuts. Took a photo... hopefully will get this and other photos up this week. Had a BLT for lunch, but it didn't really hit the spot so had a corn dog... first one. Like our ones better, but will try another one somewhere just to be sure!

The rest of my day was spent at Tijuana. I was umming and ahhing all day about it, if I wanted to go. I was wee bit scared anyway about being in Mexico, and I hadn't really gotten to know anyone yet so wasn't feeling too comfortable about it all. But in good form and timing, God well answered my prayers on this one. Got back to the hostel in time to go, and ended up only two others were there waiting. Laura, from NZ, and Emma, from Australia. Because there wasn't enough people the 'official' tour was cancelled, but we were all keen to go anyway so we went. Was stoked because it meant it was a bit lower key (since I was wee bit scared about it all) and could be a bit more chilled and stuff. Was so stoked! Anyway, will bullet point otherwise this will take forever...

- for some reason getting into Mexico you can walk straight in, bit getting out you have to line up for an hour (and the line was much shorter when we were leaving compared to what it was when we arrived...)
- between the three of us, we had a meal each and four margaritas between us. Cost was like $22... would spend more then that per person here or Auckland...
- so many kids trying to sell us little lollies and bracelets with our name on them! I know there are kids in the world doing far worse things, but it was still difficult seeing them doing it. Presumably forced to in some way or another.
- tried some amazing tequila.... every store you walk past someone tries to get you in with promises of 'special price', or 'something for the beautiful ladies'... but the liquor store we went into was pretty cool. Gave us a fair few tasters and what not.

So was a good experience all round. Definitely touristy, and maybe one day will see more of mexico.

Today got up, breakfast and quiet time again which was real good. Makes me feel so much better and confident approaching the day. Decided to go to the Zoo, and that pretty much took me the whole day. Was really good. Saw some animals that I'd never heard of before. Really cool place, well laid out and thought out. Some animals you could get so up close to compared to what I remember of Auckland zoo... though it has been a while. A gew things i remember:

- Giraffes have the same amount of vertebrae in their necks as we do, just bigger.
- A group of meer cats are called a mob.
- Can't remember what type of eagle it was, but there were only 22 left in existence, but through conservation efforts etc there are now more then 200 - also this same eagles wings span 9ft! Thought that was pretty amazing.

And to finish off (apart from my people profiles which I think I'll do as a separate) I wanted a big fatty american burger for dinner, and got it from Hodad's! Was dripping in oil, fantastic. And was watching american football whilst eating. The dream.

Vegas tomorrow! And a people post tomorrow maybe too...

Love

1 comment: