Tuesday, 25 September 2012

First impressions: San Francisco

Well I was sweating like a dog waiting in line for customs... had a moment walking off the plane - like a high moment - but then I started worrying that I'd done something wrong and they weren't going to let me in and I was going to be going home before I'd even started... what a complete waste of energy. Anyway got through fine, walked around the airport wee bit clueless for a while before asking a policeman where to go. Once I got to the train I realized I only knew the address not what station but lucky my pre-populated map could help me. Got on and off at the right place and made it to my Hostel. Hooray for that! Few prayers along the way definitely helped.

Got settled and went out to find something to eat. Walked in a way to keep myself from getting lost, theory only. Walking round the streets there is a lot of people without homes, many more then I've ever seen in Auckland. All over too. Outside the United Nations there was a massive lot of them, so not sure if something goes on round there or what to give them support or something. But I must have seen 4-5 plus people with stacked up trolleys of rubbish, and fairly often people fishing stuff out of rubbish bins. Again, more then I've seen in Auckland.

So the first two people I met, not exactly new friends but still cool. 

Ali from Pakistan, who works/owns 'Little Cafe' which is on Market St. Went in to get a sandwich or something, convinced me that his are the best taco's in America, so I got three.... and they were REALLY good! Different to what we have/call a taco. And I took a photo Emma but turns out the cable I got to put photos on my tablet is not quite right... damn. So photos will have to come later. He loved the whole New Zealand thing, we talked a bit of cricket, and he also loved how he made me my first ever meal in America. He was cool.

David from California slash across the road when I met him. Ex Navy and has lived in Osaka for about six years at some point. Tells me he's drunk as (4pm) and is heading home to have a beer to see him through till its dark, before heading out to drink more. He thought it was fantastic that I am from New Zealand too, and that's about where we parted ways. Since the crossing turned green. Slash walking man WHICH by the way they have a great system here I think. No buttons to push for pedestrian's, just automatically go walk or stop with a countdown. So if the light is green, cars can go straight and turn right (our left) but giving way to pedestrians. Seemed to work, though no Auckland drivers here... hope that made sense.

And in reference to the theory of walking in a way I won't get lost. I did. Drunk David told me I was walking in the right direction but wasn't. Did a few double backs before making it.... and about 6 GPS checks. <sigh>

So yea. Been sitting in the lounge for over an hour now doing this, and now trying to work up the courage to ask some people if they want to go find somewhere for dinner. 

So for now, bye!




6 comments:

  1. What's your not-getting-lost system? Mine worked in Bangkok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carry my GPS. And walk around with other people. Worked today!

      Delete
  2. Loved readig your first proper overseas blog! Great to hear about the randoms you have met!! It is so interesting hearing what peeps overseas think about NZ. Hope you found some friends for dinner. Look forward to the next installment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay your in america!!! Love reading your blog and thanks for the little surprise (not so surprise) in my car.

    Keep safe and try not to get lost too often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pedestrian system sounds great! Although pleny of little NZ kids would be sad about no buttons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog mate. Glad you found yourself again

    ReplyDelete