Saturday, 29 September 2012

Some cool people and conversation

In San Diego, feeling a little run down. About 4 hours sleep last night, reason you will see shortly. Just thought I'd write the following about three people I've met in the last two days.

Yooji - Japanese guy who is hard out into yoga, is a yoga teacher, and totally into the meditation side of it. I don't know a lot about that side of it, and was really interesting hearing his perspective on things. Real deep meditation and freeing the body and mind completely. Talked about having two people in the one room and coming to a place of oneness. Thought it was a really cool perspective on things. He used to be into

Kristen - Canadian who was one of the others in my dorm (four total). I'd only bumped into her a couple times - once when I was popping in to get something at about 10am, and she asked me the time and commented that it was still early as she rolled over back to sleep! Thought that was quite funny. Anyway, having said goodbyes to Julien and Sarah several times last night, went to go to bed soon after 12. That turned into about 3am.... we got talking and had some really amazing conversation. She is trained to look after people with disabilities, commented that she loves looking after and taking care of people, but works as a bar tender as the money is way better. I don't want to write the free spirit H word judgment, as I don't put her into that box, but she was so laid back and is traveling currently because she gets sick of being in the same place too long. Totally an engaging and fascinating person to talk to. Hence the going on three hour conversation. We talked about each others travels and that, but got into some more personal conversation too. In fact she commented at one point that she felt what I'd just said was a small confession - and it totally was. We were on the same page on a lot of aspects - though we both drew to the fact of our 'ever evolving and changing opinions'. We were taking about our views of San Francisco, and I was saying that I want to describe it as a diverse city, but coming from Auckland where there are so many nationalities it seemed like a funny description. But I think it is diverse in a different way, culturally still, but also in a very expressive way. We talked about the people being incredibly friendly, but it was their differences which really seemed to strike us both. We were talking about fashion, which was a real interesting discussion - and lead to what I said earlier about a confession. I said that I love fashion and trawling through magazines, going to runways and that sort of thing, but when it comes to dressing I guess I get stuck between what's in fashion and/or seen to be cool and what I want to wear. I said that over here, in San Francisco, I didn't feel like anyone was looking at me and judging me by what I am wearing. They may have been, but didn't feel like it. It was a conscious thought at one point - I think we may have been lost at the time I was thinking about it... But not just the feeling of people not judging me, I cared a whole lot less about it for whatever reason. People don't know me, I have no need for any mask as such, so I can just be me. It was cool. Hard to explain, don't know if I have very well. I think part of it also was being with two complete foreigners, and that we are more accepting of peoples differences if they are a different nationality, but not so much if they are the same - or from the same country. Not sure what your thoughts are on this, but that's my current thought process. All on all it was an awesome conversation, with Kristen from Canada.

 Sam - only met him briefly at the airport but is from Switzerland. Has three passports to fit all his visas into as he does a lot of traveling both for business and holidaying. Works as a human resource consultant so gets hired by firms all over. Was a good conversation while waiting in line to check in...

And its now the following night but will post this one now otherwise would be another mammoth. I reread what I wrote in the Kristen part because I was thinking about it today and wondering if I wanted to actually write what I've put there. I only added a little more, no deleting...

Love.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some great in depth conversation Vince. Glad you're getting those along the way as well as the great experience of travelling

    ReplyDelete