Wednesday, 3 October 2012

San Diego people



Beach - Nickname, didn't ask why and also didn't ask his actual name! From NZ who i met on my first night in San Diego. Had a bit of a general yarn to him. He's been traveling for a few months if I remember right. Does a lot of skating and that sort of thing all around. Like he had been here for over a week and he said the only touristy thing he'd done was  Aircraft carrier. He was the first Kiwi I'd met, and I was his as well I think. He's been away a lot longer then me so was quite funny.

Laura - second kiwi I met. The same day! We all thought it was pretty crazy to have three of us staying in the same hostel at once. She is from Papatoe which was also quite funny - about 10mins away from me for those that don't know Auckland. She was one of the two girls I went to Tijuana with, and has done a lot of traveling. On this current trip I think she's been away for 7 months... said India was her favourite place. She was pretty cool to hang out with, especially in Tijuana as just felt like she had a bit of experience with being hassled every 10 seconds so it made me feel a bit more comfortable.

Emma - from Australia, Adelaide. Has also done a fair bit of traveling and is at the start of her current trip. She was the other of the trio to Tijuana. Have a bit of a block here actually... can't remember much. Maybe I didn't ask... I let this sit for a day but still can't remember. Guts.

Victor - he is a local that we met on the trolley (tram) on the way back from Tijuana. Fantastic guy, has a dream of traveling and was absolutely wowed by the fact that the three of us had all met in the previous 24 hours. He said it's his dream to be able to travel, and loved talking to us and asking about our home countries and where are we off to next. He said he struggles to save, which I sympathised with. But again all three of us tried to give him encouragement. I asked him what he spends his money on, and the first thing he said was clothes! Haha I laughed. Followed by his phone bill and going out I think. Told him that if he wants it bad enough stop buying clothes - which is what I did, and told him this. He was a real cool guy, totally hope he can reach that goal of his. San Diego his whole life, just wants to get out and explore.

Turkish guy - can't remember his name, but he was working part time at the hostel to cover his room, working at a local souvenir like store, and studying. Told me he gets about 4 hours sleep trying to fit everything in. Had a good conversation with him about sports... he used to be in a really good team back home, and had been playing for the top side only for a couple weeks when he got a really bad injury. Went onto tell me that his team won the season and moved up a grade or something like that. The day he had a final exam the following year, the team that he would have been in was in a final. Pretty sure it would have been scholarship material and stuff for him. He was telling me and was real gutted. Even though this was a few yeas ago.... I told him that I found out about three weeks ago I won't be able to bowl again. Not quite the same in terms of our levels of skill respectively, but he understood. He was a real good guy.

Final San Diego doings slash thoughts and a Vegas post coming right up :-)

Love

2 comments: