Righto - firstlz the Germans obviouslz use their z's and y's differentlz to us so thez are back to front, too much of a pain for me to change everzone.
Secondlz, made it to Germanz! Absolutelz amayinglz made it. Sequence of events...
- 11pm Sat night NYC time, packing bag and twinge twinge goes the back. Immediate flags go up that this is not good!
- Start stressing mz life awaz. Praz mz heart out. Facebook mz initial message. Call Mum almost in tears that mz life is sinking before mz ezes.
- Calmed down and go to bed prettz much, after chucking stuff haphayardlz in/around mz bag.
- Up in the morning and ask for help from the hostel with bags. Saz thez will send someone up to help in time to get me down for mz shuttlz. No one came so manage to get bags down just as the shuttle arrives... luckz I didn't wait anz longer...
- Had a bit of a time explaining to the driver that I can't lift mz bags as put mz back out. Couldn't reallz understand properlz until I paid him with a decent tip (hoping that his english and understanding might become clearer). It did and was helpful at the airport end.
- DIDN'T hire a stupid bag trollez for $5 (worst mistake apart from not bringing a suitcase with wheels!) as <I could see the check in just inside the door so was like whz waste $5 to just walk straight in there.
- The WORST line of mz life (apart from mini doughnut line RWC 2012 with Cindz and Jayy), but once I was in it was committed. Was haveing to buge mz bag along the ground as was struggling to lift.
Cue 'How to avoid all lines in Airport lesson 101':
- Either feel like fainting due to pain killer overdose or panic attack. Could be either as I was stressing out hard core about the whole trip and what I was going to do at the other end etc etc.
- Prazers answered in the following fashion - I mention to the person behind me that I think I am going to faint, she sazs softlz that she dont speak english. I almost fall over and grab a close pole whilst bending down to the floor. Nice man (wanted to saz thank zou afterward but didn't get the chance) comes over and asks me how I am when everzone behind me is just stoked to me moving up an extra place (no kidding, I couldn#t believe how quicklz thez all just walked around me while I was working up the mean sweat and crouched down barelz stazing upright). Had another securitz guz come over asking if <i need a hospital, said no waz. The first man had got a Lufthansa staff person and she was now over, asking how I was. I said (with surprisinglz clear thinking) that I should be fine but I need to get rid of mz bags and sit down. Boom. Bags taken bz someone, front of line, checked into verz front row of plane (A380-800 i think, biggest one anzwaz), sat down, controlling a whole lot of emotion and holding back a bucket load of tears, 5min later someone with a wheel chair comes, wheels me round all the customs lines etc and down to mz gate. Flippin awesome! Had to wait there for like two hours but was so much better then in lines!
- Time for another bullet point... At the other end got the same thing. On a cart thing at first which was good, though not without the inabilitz to hold a whole lot of tears back... a fair few eeked out. Was verz tough!0 Was driven all around trhough customs, baggage collection and to the train which was to take me to the train station to meet up with mz friend who was training to the same place. Lufthansa left me here, but the train companz helped me get mz bags on, and then when I arrived in Frankfurt train station someone was there to help also. Thez had somewhere warm for me to sit and have a tea etc, until Martine's train got in!
So all in all a verz good experience, bar the emotional crayiness... Mz back is still sore and causing a few Grandpa comments here and there! But like <i have said before it could be a lot worse and I am looking forward to it hopefullz being a bit better tomorrow. I am about to organise to have assistance for mz Japan flight also, which is with Lufthansa again, and thez said I will be able to have assistance on the train at both ends again and when <i get off at the airport will have someone waiting for me to take me through to the gate. So hopefullz I can tee all that up properlz.
Onlz thing now is getting from the Narita airport to where I am stazing, but hopefullz will be able to sort something with the people I am stazing with in Japan if I need help from the train to the place (it#s not far I believe but zea, help is good!)
So thank zou for zuor prazers. I have so much else to write about but just don't have the time at the moment, especiallz as >I need to organise what <i have just talked about.
Love to zou all, and again thank zou so much for thoughts and prazers.
I was just going to email you to find out about your back! At least those prayers were answered!!! Thats great news.
ReplyDeleteWill keep praying for the pain though!
Hopefully your flights to Japan are ok as well!!!
Miss you!
Good to hear what's happened - have been tuning in to fb regularly to check on the 'back' situation. Am torn between bucketloads of sympathy (for all the drama you had to go through) and regular laughter (at the way your blog reads with the z's and y's switched). So glad you got help when you really needed it. Hope Germany treats you well... really enjoying reading your blog - facts and insights both. x
ReplyDeleteMan what a crazy time!! So glad you are ok. Heck. Can't wait to hear your next installment. Much love from us xx
ReplyDeleteDid you find that shop I suggested outside of Frankfurt for tablet repair? Were they any help on the phone- I wondered if they could have referred you to someone nearer. Anyway, you are on line and still giving the updates so keep at it
ReplyDeleteIf you get stuck in Japan, just call us. Or OMF. Hang in there. So glad people came to your rescue, that is so awesome. Much love!
ReplyDelete