Don't know how else to put it from my feeble vocabulary, but Las Vegas blew my mind! But first, final thoughts of San Diego.
As the title suggests, and several people over the last few days have said also, it is a very liveable city. Public transport is fantastic - got the trolley and buses all over the show that are very easy to use, and $5 for the day unlimited. The town center just feels really well laid out, you don't have to walk far to get anywhere, or so it feels. Restaurants are plenty. Shopping is plenty. Sea Port is amazing - lots of shops and eateries down by the water, where there is amazing open green areas. I guess think Mission Bay but bigger, and without the road so close so you feel like you aren't even in a city almost. Until you turn around and see the city. But you get the drift.
Compared to San Francisco, what do I think? I enjoyed San Francisco for many reasons, one of which was hugely the people - not just those that I met and hung out with, but the people of San Francisco. Several times we pulled out maps, and before we could even open it someone would come up and help us out. That was the general feel of it. San Diego didn't get that so much. The bus drivers were totally not as friendly, people didn't talk as much (apart from Victor, who was incredible), and that was kind of a conscious thing I felt the whole time I was there. But baring that, it was such a good place. Really enjoyed it and would totally go back to see more of it if I get the chance.
Now, Las Vegas. WOW! I can't even begin to describe how this was. I got in, shuttle to the Bellagio, rock up to the counter and ask for the standard room whilst slipping a $20 across the counter and mentioning if there are any upgrades available. It was seriously funny to watch. Straight away on the phone, waving extra fees and charges etc, and here is your room with a view of the fountain on the 24th floor. It was cool. Real cool! Actually what was cool was being in the elevator going down, and stopping at like the 20th floor and already being in it. Yea, that's right. I'm on a higher floor then you. Haha.
I'm going to have to summarise, because I could seriously write forever on this. Places I went to on my first day:
Paris Las Vegas - This is where Gordon Ramsey restaurant is, really wanted to go in but would have easily cost more then $100 to have a meal. The whole Eiffel tower thing was pretty cool though, walking around under that and stuff on the inside. Was a cool first stop (apart from Bellagio).
Caesers Palace - Whole thing has Corinthian columns all over the show. MASSive statues that are acting as columns, MASSive statues that are part of fountains and stuff (nothing like what we have in NZ, huge. Like full scenes with like 5 or 6 Greek gods in one fountain and stuff). Walked into the pool area by accident (only hotel guests suppose to be) and blew my mind. Incredible surroundings, all Greek architecture styles. Nothing short of absolutely amazing.
Fashion Show - Not a hotel but a massive for-lack-of-better-word mall. All the big brands (which it turned out basically every hotel had) but just a massive place. So good.
The Mirage - Went to go to the Dolphin/Tiger thing but cost more then I wanted to pay for it. Walked around though. Though all the Casino and shops etc.
- Just to note here. ALL the Hotels have shops in them. And they are like the size of Botany, but on steroids. Each hotels theme was prevalent all throughout the Hotel/Casino/Shopping area/Pool area etc.
Stratosphere - Got told that this was not far, but took me like half an hour of power walking through intense heat to get there! I even asked a second person along the way and they said I was almost there... didn't know what it looked like but was hoping it wasn't the big tower that wasn't getting any closer... it totally was. It was like, I'm almost there. But I'm not. It took forever. Got there and had a bit of a look around, but was heading straight to the Sky Jump. No waiting around, so it was a bit whirlwindy between saying yes and paying, to being told "On my count of 3 you're going to step of the edge... 1..2..3 and.... I didn't step. Had a bit of a wait, and then on the second round did it on like 3.5 or something... I haven't bungee'd, but stepping off something that high is pretty scary! It was incredible though! Let out a bit of a scared scream at the start, but then it was all a loving it scream. Woohooing and the like! Was awesome.
Circus Circus - So cool, all set out just like it. Whole floor of circus games and stuff. Didn't play any because I was still on my mission to see as many hotels as I could. But was pretty awesome. Whole place kitted out. Phenomenal. That's the word. Las Vegas was phenomenal.
And I think that was my day one day - about 5 - 6 hours of walking. Actually. Fast walking too, to see everything I could! Got back to my room about 6 to have a shower and get changed because I had sweated about 3L worth... and then went for dinner and hit the gambling. Which didn't go too flash, could've done a whole lot better probably (lucky I'm not an addict) but left it at that.
This morning got up and went via the MGM Grand to the Gun Store, where i got to use a 1911 Pistol, MP40 semi auto machine gun, and a Thompson (tommy gun). Was freakin sweet. Kept the three targets I shot at so should be able to get some photos up. Maybe do that tomorrow as it's getting late tonight... After that got a Taxi back to Mandalay Bay Hotel and had a walk through. Also went to Luxor, New York-New York (which has a roller coaster ride which was so sweet, and the whole place was just awesome - will know how accurate when I get to NY, but I suspect it was pretty good!), Excalibur, Monte Carlo, and the Crystals was the last one I think. These were all total fly by visits as I was trying to get through all of them before my shuttle was coming to get me. Which I just made it in time...
So, all in all, Las Vegas was a packed full schedule and was something else. I could have happily done what I did over 4 or 5 days (I was there for about 40 hours). I loved it. I mean, there is totally the other side to it of course. You see it around enough, but there was so much there and it is just so incredible that you should go! I had preconceived ideas about it, and they are still there, but this was an experience that I thoroughly enjoyed and wouldn't mind repeating. Absolutely. Maybe. It was awesome, and I am very thankful for your prayers, especially two very close friends who were especially praying for my time in Vegas. Thank you two! xo
And I made it to Phoenix, where I am writing this on a keyboard (nice change from my tablet!). Not without drama getting here though... fell asleep in the airport which resulted in me missing my flight.. just! Got on the next one though so was only an hour late, so no worries! But a good time to learn that lesson, instead of from New York to Germany or something... Had In and Out for dinner, had it recommended to me by a few people. Didn't disappoint. Double Double burger with cheese. Very delicious.
But for now, it is 11.45pm, Abbey apparently is going to be up early. So is Will. Sleep is now.
Love.
Hmmmm
ReplyDeleteHope you got a chance to visit the down side of Vegas too. The pawn shops, the night shelters and the addiction centres. All this stuff is funded on the backs of either the poor or the addicted remember.
As for the gun shop.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a great time- it sounds really wonderful